Friday, February 20, 2009

Magic

About a week ago I attended a "Diva Night" at a local running store. I wanted to go to look at some shoes and get some free stuff while I was at it! It was so fun and I really learned a lot about the world of running. I talked to the owner a bit about some shoes but still think I'm going to wait a while, mostly because they're so darn expensive!

One thing I have to share about this diva night was the message I got. There were all kinds of businesses trying to advertise themselves at this Diva Night and one of them was a new gym called Anytime Fitness. They have a message therapist on site there and she was giving free messages at Diva Night. I, of course, waited in line for my turn and it was worth it.

I had been having these weird abdominal pains. They were like nothing I had ever felt before and I was fearing I may be pregnant. When I got the message the therapist was commenting on how nice and loose my shoulders were and then she got down to my back and said "oh my gosh!" I wasn't sure what to do because I've never had a message before so I just said "what? bad stuff?" haha. She said that I had about 10 knots in my lower back. She did some deep tissue work to get rid of them and as we talked about it we realized that that's where my abdominal pain was coming from. It was strange because I felt in the front, but she said I pulled this muscle that lays UNDER my abs all the way around. She said I probably bring my hips forward with every step I take when I run and most likely torque those muscles. She told me to watch my form closely to see if it doesn't get better.

IT DID! A miracle! Who would have thought? The pains I was feeling were so bad I had to take a couple of days off of running, and I never would have guessed that it was my form making my stomach (what felt like my ovaries) hurt.

I would recommend getting a message from a therapist who specializes in atheltic messages to anyone. It was amazing. The best part? She called me last weekend and told me I won a 50% off coupon for a message!

I should probably call her back....

No comments: