Monday, February 2, 2009

Hello!

I thought it would fun and interesting to begin a blog about my fitness journey. I have a blog, but wanted to use that for personal events that family and friends would want to read about. This blog I have dedicated to my running and healthy eating adventures so that people who actually want to hear about my fitness journey can. Hope you Enjoy!


I am getting really excited about running! Lately I have been day dreaming about the 5K I'm planning on entering this spring. I know that I won't win the race, but the thought of me actually finishing a 5K, running the whole thing, is amazing! It's taken a lot of hard work for me as I prepare for this race. Heck, I'm still only on the PRE-5K training! I am still shocked at how much I really love running now, because I used to HATE running. With a passion.

I began my current "From Couch to Runner" 8-week training regiment last, oh, May. I got pretty far into it, probably to about week 3 or 4, and then my husband and I took off to Bulgaria for a study abroad internship for my major. Being terrified of going out alone in this new and strange place, my running came to an abrupt end. I "knew" that when I became more comfortable I would begin my program once again, get back on track, and complete the program before returning home from Bulgaria. Long story short, I probably ran 5 times total in the three month period we were there. Ugh.

I got back into the workout blues slump and I actually kind of missed my running days. It was incredibly difficult to motivate myself to run again. When we got back to the U.S., I attempted to run on a tredmill a couple times, but living with my in-laws made that kind of awkward/difficult because I didn't want to interrupt anyone, other people were using it, etc. I know--no excuse. I did, however, begin eating much healthier and committing myself to that. It's been fairly simple and easy for me, surprisingly enough. When we moved into our new apartment I began hitting the gym and I'm now on week 6 of my program! (I didn't have to start from the VERY beginning again)

The amazing thing about it is that I look forward to my runs every day. They aren't the 12 mile practice runs that a lot of hard core runners do for their workouts, but they make me feel proud, and they give me time to relax and meditate. A lot of people talk about different getaways they have where they can just go and forget about the worries of the world. Temples, bedrooms, bathrooms, the mall, etc. Mine is going running!

I have a lot to accomplish with my running to achieve the goals I'm aiming for, but I know they will be fun.


If you'd like to see the 8-week "From Couch to Runner" program I'm following, head to Running Planet. I have put this program into a nice, easy-to-read table. If you'd like a copy, leave a comment. Thanks!

No comments: