Thursday, August 20, 2009

Log 8/19/09

This log is a day late, but that's okay. I'm still recording it!

Tony has been a little sick lately and I felt like I was catching his bug. Last night I had made up my mind to lounge around to avoid being sick. Around 9:30pm I changed my mind and went for a run. I finally had my iPod cord so I could load Beethoven onto my ipod.

I was planning on an easy jog while Beethoven inspired me to do my best. I began the symphony after a short warm up and man, did it ROCK! I never realized how inspirational it is to listen to classical music when you run! I made it through the first rockin' movement and then slowed my run down a bit.

I've been reading a book for beginning runners by Jeff Galloway and he talks about how when you run, your right brain is more active because of the nature of the exercise. He challenges his readers to see the pictures that your right brain develops as its creativity is flowing. So, I listened. I slowed my tredmill down a bit, held on to the side bars, and closed my eyes. The music was inspiring my right brain for sure, as I could see myself effortlessly running through meadows filled with wildflowers. The soft grass felt good on my feet and my knee was perfect! I opened my eyes and laughed a little. Then...it happened......

I sped my tredmill back up to my running pace and suddenly I felt a glorious tingle that started in my head and ran all the way to my toes. At that moment I felt like I was running on clouds! I upped my speed quite a bit and ran harder and faster than I ever have--with little to no effort.

It finally happened to me...I had a runner's high.

It was, without question, the best run of my life. And it was only 3 miles long on my easy day. :)

No comments: