Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July 5K

Well, we did it. I sucessfully convinced Tony and his parents to complete a 5K with me this past Saturday for the 4th. We all did really well for our different levels. Tony (he's a fast guy) finished 2nd in his age division! I was so proud of him! This was his first race ever. I knew he would do well because he likes the short, faster distances.

I was hoping to beat my last 5k time by four minutes and I was on good pace to do so, but right around mile 1 I twisted my knee by slipping on some loose rocks causing causing me to have to walk some of the race. BUMMER! But, despite being injured, I finished 12th in my age division and was right around my last 5K time. I was pleased to know that I am indeed faster than I was before since I walked some of the race and finished at a similar pace.

I was glad to have watched the movie "The Spirit of the Marathon" a couple nights before the race. I didn't watch it FOR the race, but just because I thought it looked interesting and I've been wanting to see it for a while. There was a girl on there who was talking about how you can train and train until you're brains melt out of your ears and be more ready than ever for your race, but if your body isn't feeling up to it that day, there's nothing you can do! It's kind of discouraging, but kind of ENcouraging at the same time. Yeah, I was a little sad that I didn't get a better time, but it wasn't because I wasn't good enough. My body just didn't let me finish the way I wanted to. That's always something I will have to deal with as a runner. So, there's my take-home message for the day.

In other news, I am planning for my first ever 10K! I started the training program yesterday and I've picked out a race that I'd like to do in Park City, Utah. For those who don't know, a 10K is 6.4 miles--twice a 5K. I have gone that distance before, but only ONCE. In my training I'm going to work up slowly to it for an 8-week period. I'm so excited! I'm also trying a new diet system to hopefully shed some poundage. I'm sure that being 10lbs lighter will help my running immensely.

My BIG goal that I've recently set is to run the Half Marathon in the SLC Marathon events next April (2010). I ran my first 5K in that race and I think it's a pretty doable goal. I think I'll have plenty of training time. Then I'm going to train for the big dog, and complete my first marathon sometime after that. I'm not quite sure how long it takes to train for a marathon, but I am thinking the October following my half I would go down to St. George and run that race.

I'm crazy.

No comments: